My New “Pet”

I feel like today was the beginning. I have finally started the process! My curiosity about what is to come far outweighs any fear or dread that I might have. I’m not sure why that is. Maybe it is because I have had so many positive experiences so far. I have met some pretty wonderful people. I have grown closer to the people who have already been in my life. My life is certainly different right now, but that doesn’t mean it’s bad. I’ve got it pretty good.

Truth be told, I haven’t been through very much so far. Sure, my blood has probably been drawn about 85 times in the last year, but I don’t mind that. I have had some biopsies that were not too much fun, but they were all very quick. When I was on chemo, I called it “Chemo Lite”.  It hardly affected me at all.  I am in more discomfort now, after what was done today, than I have been this whole time. And yet, I’m going to say that my pain level is between a one and a two. I’m just a little sore. I know that the hardest thing to come is probably the week or so after the high dose chemo, but I know I’ll get through it.

So what was done today? I’m still deciding on its name, but I got a new little pet who will be with me until about 3-4 weeks after the transplant. It’s my central venous catheter, or central line. It will be used for everything they use an IV for, but I won’t have to have one in my arm, or constantly get poked. I was sedated for the procedure, as they had to put this tubing into a large vein near my heart.  It is sutured into place and the top part of it is securely taped down. There are two “lumens”, the little ends where injections can be given. The lumens are kind of swinging freely…I’ll have to tape those down for running or spin class. No, really, my doctor said it was OK. Silly doctor. She knows not that she is feeding a little monster.

Today was my second visit this week to the big S. I had to go yesterday for lab work, X-ray, EKG and a meeting with the doc. Tomorrow I go back for another Neupogen injection to increase my stem cells, and will be on those at least until Monday, when the first collection will take place. Each morning, I’ll go in,  presumably so they can keep an eye on me. Each night, I’ll get to inject myself. What I’m willing to do to add to my list of fun skills!  I start that DIY project tomorrow evening.

I’m going to bed soon. Erin will pick me up at 5:30 for another exciting trip across the bay. Watch out Stanford, here comes Double Trouble!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s